Emergency Intubation Checklists
REGIONAL Leads: Joel Swindin and Nick Plummer
- Aim to capture all emergency, non-theatre anaesthetic episodes
- ED, ICU, wards
- Exclude primary obstetric problems, include paediatrics
- 4/52 “usual care” followed by 4/52 using a checklist everywhere
- Capture anaesthetist’s opinion after the event
- Log anaesthetic online at time of event (two-clicks)
- Follow-up questionnaire sent by email/text
- Local leads can chase missed data
Are checklists better/helpful for us or for patients?
Is there clinical equipoise for not using checklists?
Can a region wide checklist be produced if proved useful?
Potential for ”firsts” and proof of concept
- Use of an online system for logging events and seeking follow ups
- Dynamic run-charts on MERCAT website
- Drive engagement and links with non-anaesthetists
Potential for follow up design project
Potential for a national project proposal